Welcome to the MGC Library
When you walk into the Melbourne Girls’ College library, the first things you notice is the relaxed ambience of the space. With its own vertical garden wall and comfortable furniture, students can come in for a quiet read or study, while bathed in natural light piercing the glass window perimeter. When nested inside, the library surrounds you with thousands of books, and holds a collection which aims to please even the fussiest of readers.
The students can utilise multiple study nooks, a tiered seating area, four group study rooms and the library’s very own Green Screen Room; it’s no wonder the library continues to be a cornerstone of the school. With a variety of projector screens inside and a sunny wooden deck extending out to the school gardens, the space is often used for classes, assemblies, co-curricular gatherings and special events.
Forget to grab your holiday reading? Check out the MGC eResources collection!
The MGC Library has a great online collection which gives you access to eBooks and Audiobooks that MGC students can borrow from home. If you would like access to the eBooks or Audiobooks and are uncertain of the process, click here to download the cheat sheet.
Resources for Loan
- Young Adult and Adult fiction collections, Non Fiction, magazines and foreign language titles.
- Access to the Digital Edition of The Age for all students while on site.
- Online resources accessible through the library web page; including ANZ Reference Centre and Echo Educational Issues.
- Wheelers ePlatform eLibrary content, including eBooks and audiobooks.
Multimedia Collection including Clickview Media, DVDs and BluRays.
- Multimedia Resources for loan including: digital still and movie cameras, Polycom Video Conferencing System, time lapse cameras and data projectors.
- Resources for staff and students include: laminators, guillotine, photocopier, printers, scanner, scientific calculators, headphones and stationery.
Students can also access a large variety of reference materials.
Library related programs and events*
Flash Fiction writing competition Years 7 – 9
Guest author visits
Suggestion Book – we are responsive to our students’ ideas for improving our service and suggestions for purchasing resources.
- *Please note – due to COVID19 some clubs may not be running. Please check with library staff.
Monday ~ 8.00 am – 4.30 pm
Tuesday ~ 8.00 am – 3.30 pm
Wednesday ~ 8.00 am – 4.30 pm
Thursday ~ 8.00 am – 4.30 pm
Friday ~ 8.00 am – 4.00 pm
Saturday & Sunday ~ CLOSED
Please note: The library opening hours may change due to school needs.
PLEASE NOTE: Book club has moved to Purple Tuesdays