Grade 6 into Year 7 Enrolment
Melbourne Girls’ College welcomes enrolment enquiries from the local and wider community.
There is high demand for places at Melbourne Girls’ College, and whilst we may not be able to offer placement to all applicants, we are committed to a clear, transparent and fair enrolment process in accordance with the Department of Education and Training policies.
In accordance with the Department of Education and Training Policies, eligible children and young persons have the right to be admitted to their designated neighbourhood government school, regardless of capacity.
Accordingly, all students that reside within the designated neighbourhood school (referred to as a ‘school zone’) for Melbourne Girls’ College will be offered a place when seeking enrolment for Year 7.
You can find your designated neighbourhood school by accessing the Find My School website: https://www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au/
For those families/students that reside outside of the designated school zone, Melbourne Girls’ College follows a local enrolment policy to designate priority of placement.
The local enrolment policy, which has been approved by the Minister for Education, includes a priority order of placement and special entry criteria.
In circumstances where we do not have sufficient accommodation to accept all students who apply from outside of our school zone, we manage enrolment applications in accordance with the following priority order of placement:
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time.
- 50% of places remaining after criteria 1 will be allocated to students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds which are the study of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics – S.T.E.A.M.
- Remaining places will be allocated to students in order of closeness of their permanent residence to Melbourne Girls’ College.
In exceptional circumstances, a student may be enrolled in a school based on compassionate grounds. This is an overarching consideration and does not form part of the priority order of placement.
All applicants are advised to carefully note the MGC Enrolment Timeline for Year 7 applications.
- For Year 6 students attending Government primary schools, your primary school will provide you with a Transition Package at the beginning of Term 2. Complete and return the application form to your child’s primary school by due date. Priority Order of Placement Enrolment forms are overseen by the government primary schools.
- For Year 6 students attending Catholic or Independent primary schools, download the Year 6 to 7 Information Pack, complete and submit the application by the due date specified in the transition pack.