Melbourne Girls’ College is an award winning sustainable school. We are proud to partner with the City of Yarra in our ambition to be Carbon Neutral. As the first Australian recipient of the Zayed Future Energy Prize, we received funding to put our plans into action and now boast 2 interactive PV solar arrays, pedal and ergo generators, a microhydroturbine, solar powered seal fountain and have a strategy to reduce our energy use to achieve our goal.
Student Environment Team
The Melbourne Girls’ College Student Environment Team is an extra-curricular group who hold the school community to account in terms of environmental sustainability. The team runs many great student-led projects:
- Our Traditional Zero-Carbon Pedal-powered Moonlight cinema
- National Schools Tree Day (Known as Murnong Day)
- Water quality testing and biodiversity mapping with the Merri Creek Management Committee
- Clean ups and litter audits with the Yarra River Keeper Association
- Tree planting and biodiversity management with the Australian Conservation Foundation
- Plastic Free July Competition
- Clean Up Australia Day
- Nude Food Day
- Sustainable Seafood Day
- Solar powered Earth Hour Concert
- Zoos Victoria Seal the Loop Action Day
- Kids Teaching Kids Melbourne Water Environment conferences
- Ride to school / work days
- School strike for Climate
Students who wish to become involved in the MGC Student Environment team, should fill out an on-line application form found on the student environment page on the school intranet or simply contact the college environment captains. The Environment team meet weekly for planning meetings or habitat workshops on the bush tucker garden on the river bank. We are always looking for new members.
Sustainable School Shop
BUY & SELL second hand text books uniforms calculators musical instruments sports gear Uni books and more here.