Dear Future Year 7 Families,
Again, we are delighted to welcome you and your daughter to Melbourne Girls’ College. We look forward to the next six years being productive and happy ones for your child and your family. The key promise we make to our community is that learning, wellbeing and life-long success are our major priorities. The curriculum with its focus on expert teaching of core subjects, trans-disciplinary subjects and inquiry has been a major success. Students are engaged in their studies and are learning about the growth mindset they need to take into life beyond secondary school. The girls are experiencing great success as a result.
Our expert staff have been engaged in professional learning every Tuesday around the Curiosity and Powerful Learning Framework. The Wellbeing Program focuses upon values, character strengths and ethics. Our lens on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEAM) is aimed at further increasing our girls’ success in these areas. The Leadership, Performing and Visual Arts, Sustainability, Rowing, Aerobics and Air Force Cadet programs are also essential parts of the Melbourne Girls’ College experience.
This package includes important information regarding:
- 2018 Booklists
- Compass Login
- School Photographs
- 2018 Timetable
- Attendance and lateness
- Uniform Guidelines and Second Hand Uniform Shop days
- Second Hand Book Sale information
- Camps and Excursion Fund
- 2018 School Council information
- Parents’ Welcome Evening Invite
- Orientation Day Flyer
- Dance Audition Information
- Instrumental Music Application
- Course Confirmation Booklet
Key documents which need to be signed and returned
Course Confirmation documents (by 12th December), Instrumental Music Application (by 12th December). The Booklist return date states 1st December but we have communicated with Campion and they have agreed to extend this for your convenience to the 12th December. Please note that the consent and medical information for Year 7 Camp and Dance Audition (If your child is interested) need to be completed on Compass by 5th December.
Key organisational matters and dates
- Orientation Day on Tuesday, 12th December 2017. Students are to arrive with their parents at 8.40am at the Auditorium via Gate 2. Students are to be collected from the Gym via Gate 2 at 2.30pm.
- Booklist return dates are: Years 7-9 Friday, 12th December 2017. All books are home delivered in the week ending 19th January 2018.
- School Photograph Day is Tuesday, 7th February 2018.
- Immunisation cards will be distributed early in 2018, please complete and return promptly. The schedule is:
Monday 5th March First HPV
Thursday 18th October Second HPV and Boostrix
2018 Term Dates
- Term 1: Monday 29th January – General Office opens, teachers return.
Tuesday, 30th January – Term 1 Academic Year begins for Years 7, 12 & all new students to Friday 29th March.
Wednesday 31st January – Term 1 Academic Year begins for Years 8-11 to Friday 29th March.
- Term 2: Monday, 16th April 2018 to Friday, 29th June 2018
- Term 3: Monday, 16th July 2018 to Friday, 21st September 2018
- Term 4: Monday, 8th October 2018 to Thursday, 20th December 2018
Please note: The last day of each Term students finish at 2.30pm
Student Free Days 2018
The following dates have been approved by School Council as the student free days for 2018. Please make a note in your diary:
- Tuesday, 13th March 2018 – Curriculum Student Free Day
- Friday, 15th June 2018 – Student Free Day
- Friday, 14th September 2018 – Curriculum Student Free Day
- Monday, 5th November 2018 – 2019 Planning Student Free Day
2018 Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences
Whilst there are no scheduled classes on these days, it is expected that students will attend the interviews with their parents in order to receive feedback:
- Tuesday, 27th March 12.00pm – 7.30pm
- Tuesday, 18th September 12.00pm – 7.00pm
Parents’ Welcome Evening
On Tuesday 20th February at 7.00pm-8.30pm in the Auditorium (Gate 2), our Parents’ Association supports us in hosting a parent welcome evening. This is an opportunity to meet other new Year 7 parents as well as established MGC parents. It is also an opportunity to meet your daughter’s teachers informally, and build our shared understanding of how we can support your child. Please see the attached postcard invite.
Year 7 Camp
Monday 12th – Wednesday 14th February or Wednesday 14th – Friday 16th February
The camp is an important event in the Year 7 calendar. Arrabri Lodge in Warburton provides a range of great activities and gives an opportunity for students to become better acquainted with classmates and teachers. See attached information sheet.
Information Sessions to establish organisation for your child’s 2018 Learning
Middle School Course Information Evening
Year 7 into Year 8, 2019 will be held on Tuesday 7th August 2018.
- Swimming Carnival Tuesday 27th February (weather permitting)
- Athletics Sports Day Friday 23th March (weather permitting and date TBC)
School Council and Finance Committee meetings are held on the second Tuesday of every month during the school term in the Conference Room.
Parents’ Association is held at 7.30pm on the fourth Tuesday of every month in the Staffroom, enter via Gate 3.
Parents’ Association Event Dates
- Tuesday 20th February, Year 7 Welcome Evening
- Wednesday 7th March, International Women’s Day Event
- Saturday 26th May, Trivia Night
- Friday 31st August, Father’s Day Breakfast
- Wednesday 23rd October, PA Raffle drawn at Whole School Assembly
Safe, orderly environment – our Code of Conduct
We are keen to see every child succeed; part of this is teaching that rights and responsibilities are inherent in any organisation. Respect for staff and school policy is expected at all times. An agreement is located in the front pages of every student diary so that we are clear on rights and responsibilities. In enrolling at MGC, you and your daughter agree with the MGC Statement of Values (which was included in your Enrolment Pack).
Attendance and Lateness – “It’s Not OK To Be Away”
At Melbourne Girls’ College we take attendance very seriously. Please make appointments and family vacations outside of school hours and enter all absences into Compass (our parent portal) prior to the date of the absence or on the day of the absence. Extended absences should be communicated to the Year Level Leader or Assistant Leader to support your daughter’s learning during her time away from school.
Every student is expected to wear the full Melbourne Girls’ College uniform, including the school bag. In 2018 students consistently out of uniform will be sent home after contact with parents until they can return in full school uniform. Families experiencing financial hardship should contact the Student Services staff on 9428 8955.
The Second Hand Uniform shop run by our Parents’ Association is open every Thursday from 1.05pm – 2.00pm and is located in the café foyer (Gate 2).
Camps, Sports and Excursion Fund
The Victorian Government has announced $148.3 million over four years for the Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF), to ensure all eligible students are able to participate in school trips and sporting activities.
Families holding a valid means-tested concession card will be eligible to apply. Eligible families will need to apply for the CSEF at their child’s school with applications to be entered by school administrators onto a web-based system. Application process starts Term 1, 2018.
A payment of $225 for secondary school students will be paid directly to the school to be used towards camps, sports and excursion costs for the benefit of the student.
2018 School Council Elections Timeline and Process
Serving on Council, or one of its sub-committees, is a great way of supporting our College and playing a leading role in its development as a provider of quality education. Please consider nominating for Council when notices are distributed in February.
Finally, have a safe and very happy holiday period! We look forward to working with you in 2018.
Bryony Sahlstrom -Year 7 & 8 Enrolment Officer – email@example.com
Shaunagh O’Connell – Year 7 Year Level Leader 2018 firstname.lastname@example.org
Brent Houghton – Assistant Principal 7 & 8 – email@example.com